A successor to the Windows Recovery Console, Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) is a set of tools based on Windows Preinstallation Environment (Win PE). Windows PE utility (Wpeutil) is a command-line tool that enables you to run commands during a Windows PE session
When dealing with a Blue Screen of Death or other critical errors - one option is to boot into Safe Mode.
- On the Windows sign-in screen, press and hold SHIFT while you select Power ➞ Restart.
- After the PC restarts to the Choose an option screen, Troubleshoot ➞ Advanced options ➞ Startup Settings ➞ Restart.
You may be asked to enter your BitLocker recovery key.
- After your PC restarts, you'll see a list of options. Select 4 or F4 to start your PC in safe mode. Or if you'll need to use the Internet, select 5 or F5 for Safe Mode with Networking.
From safe mode you can run a system restore with %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe
To do this, you will repeatedly turn your device off, then on:
WinPE most often runs from an external USB device like a memory stick. This can be used to disable services or replace system files until you are able to boot into safe mode.
- Connect the device.
- Turn on the PC, and use the boot menus to select the Windows PE drive. Typically this requires pressing a hardware button or a key, such as the Esc key. For UEFI-based PCs, you might need to find an option to manually select the UEFI boot files, for example, USBDrive01\EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.EFI.
- Windows PE starts automatically. After the command window appears, the wpeinit command runs automatically. This might take a few minutes.
@echo off For %%G in (C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) do ( if exist %%G:\myscript.cmd ( Echo WinPE is running on drive: %%G REM other commands ) )
To Set or Reset your local account password or security questions on Windows 10:
Settings ➞ Accounts ➞ Sign-in options ➞ Password ➞ Update your security questions.
Attempt to Sign-in using an incorrect password.
Click OK and click Reset Password.
Type the correct answer to each of the security questions and press Enter.
Type a new password and press Enter.
On machines with Windows Defender, this procedure may not work, see here for an alternative using SAFE mode and RoboCopy.
“When a deep injury is done us, we never recover until we forgive” ~ Alan Paton
Q12415 - Recovery options in Windows 10.
BCDBOOT - Create or repair a system partition.
BCDEDIT - Manage Boot Configuration Data.
BOOTREC - Repair or replace a partition boot sector (WinRE).
SYSPREP - (Generalize) a Windows installation.
WPEUTIL - Run commands during a Windows Preinstallation Environment (WinPE)
Recovery /Reset options in Windows - Microsoft support.
WinPE Intro - Microsoft help page.
Windows Recovery - Create a new Admin user.
List of Windows Services